Welcome back to the Three Delivery Forum!
We're glad to see you again!

Please log in or register with us to continue.

Five Becomes Four - Chapter O2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Five Becomes Four - Chapter O2

Post by ThaliaAnderson on 20th July 2010, 3:20 am

Blahh. You know the deal.
I'm uploading these in separate posts so as not to overwhelm anybody with a MEGAPOST.
Uhmm... my notes about this chapter:
--I like writing Barney. I really do. But I feel like I make him totally out of character. =/ Plus, I made it seem like he hates Tyko. (But I guess after almost ripping his ear off, he'd be feeling some resentment towards her. Eh.)
--Uhhhhmmmmm... Yeah... Thalia + action scenes = not a great idea. They're really bad. Pretend that it's epic, alright?
--Brynn was maybe a little too friendly in offering Tyko her ribs. I mean, who does that?! -.- Yeeeeaaahh, doesn't make sense.
--This was written before Tyko was a magician. So yeah, she actually tried to do physical crap. Later on, I'll put her back into her now-character.
--Pffffff, explanation for Brynn being invited to live with them = none. I have no explanation. sajkfhkshgjh. Don't judge her based on the lack of logic. ._.
--I own both the gorilla-gator and the Speed Ghosts. (:

As soon as Sid and that Tobey boy were out of sight, I began jogging down the street, glancing around for stores. I suddenly stopped and sat down on the curb outside a restaurant called “Wu’s Garden”. I had just realized that I couldn’t get an apartment anywhere; I wasn’t an adult. I hadn’t thought things through enough, and now I was stuck in a strange city, when I could have been back in Ohio, not quite comfortable, but safe at least, at the orphanage.

I wasn’t going back, that I knew for sure. I was just going to have to try and make the best of a bad situation. I felt my stomach growl. I was going to have to make the best of a bad situation right after I got some food.

I got to my feet and eyed the shop behind me. Shrugging, I opened the door and the aroma of fresh-cooked food filled the air. I took a deep breath, enjoying the scent of something resembling real food than the soy crap Katherine used to make. I slowly crossed the large dining area to the counter and waited for someone to come.

Suddenly, a dark-haired girl who looked about seven years old skipped up behind the counter, barely reaching the height of it. Her black eyes glanced up at me and she quickly asked, “Can I help you?”

“Uh… what do you recommend?” I wondered, resting my arm over the counter. “I’m not familiar with the food in this area.”

“I haven’t been here long myself,” she replied, offering a small smile. “I just moved here a couple months ago. But I’d have to say…” she trailed off and cast a sideways glance at the menu beside her. “Spare ribs.”

“I’ll give it a try,” I said, grinning. The girl pushed something on the register and I gave her the appropriate money for the order. I sat down at a booth in the corner of the restaurant, near a back door that led to the kitchen.

In a matter of minutes, the girl jumped from around the counter, holding a plate. She set it down in front of me and smiled. “Barney made this one, so if it bites you, you can sue him.”

I laughed. “I’m Tyko,” she said, sticking out her hand to me. I took it and shook it firmly. Tyko scooted into the seat across from me.

“I’m Brynn, and I’m the world’s lightest eater.” I pushed the plate of food more towards her. “Do you want some? I’ll probably only eat four bites anyway.”

“You’re offering me food?” She looked shocked. “You do realize that I eat all the time. I’m usually hungry. Are you really willing to take that risk?”

“I think I can handle.” She reached over and took a rib off the tray. She munched it happily and then looked as if she were choking. I eyed her cautiously, wondering if she was going to spew half-chewed spare rib all over the table. Regardless, I scooted farther back in my seat.

Tyko hacked down the rib and stood up angrily, stomping to the back of the kitchen. I stared after her and watched her pull another boy out of the back room by his ear.

“Tyko, what are you doing?” he demanded in pain. “You’re like, three years younger than me, how do you have this strong of grip?”

“I had to keep up with those little orphans, didn’t I?” she shot back at him. “You’re ribs almost killed me! It’s a good thing the customer didn’t eat them, because her parents would sue you!”

Tyko was an orphan? For some reason, this came as a shock to me. The boy lifted his head up only slightly and glimpsed me sitting at the booth. He did his best to offer a smile and Tyko tugged on his ear again and he yelped. “Tyko, release!” he begged.

Tyko relented and finally let go of him. He straightened, rubbing his sore and throbbing ear. “Anyway, what was wrong with my ribs?” he managed to ask. Tyko looked as if she were going to snag him again, so he took a few good steps back from her.

“You’re… beasts lodged in my throat and tried to kill me!” she explained in exasperation. “You just want me gone, don’t you? Don’t you?” She rose up on her tip-toes, still not reaching even the boy’s shoulder. I smiled, and couldn’t stop myself from laughing. Tyko glanced
behind her and saw me.

Tyko’s eyes softened and she began to laugh along with me. Soon, we couldn’t even stop. Neither of us knew what we were even laughing about by this point. When we managed to calm down, the boy glanced between Tyko and me. His eyes locked on mine and he rushed forward, kneeling in front of me.

I sat back in surprise. “Uh…” I trailed off.

“Who are you and what have you done to Tyko?” he said. “You caged the beast!” he declared. Tyko glared at him.

“I’m Brynn,” I laughed. I brought my knees up close to my chest so I wouldn’t kick the poor guy.

“I’m Barney, and I’ll serve you forever if you always keep her that calm.”

“Barney, what are you doing?

Barney and I both glanced up to see… was his name Tobey?... walk through the door. Tobey saw me and snickered. “Hey, Bean is back,” he joked.

“Brynn,” I reminded him again, smiling.

Tobey shrugged. “Sid’s the only one who can keep your name straight anyway. I mean, what kind of name is Brynn anyhow?”

“It’s my name,” I pointed out.

“Obviously,” Tyko interjected.

Suddenly, Tobey looked excited. “Oh, crud. How did I forget? I’m always doing that… Focus Tobey.” He looked up at Tyko and
hurriedly said, “Hey, we, uh, need your help.”

Tyko’s eyes widened. “Seriously? You need me?” She giggled. “You guys must be desperate. Where?”

A whirl of wind gave Tyko her answer. She yelped and ducked her head. Barney looked puzzled and Tobey yelled, “Barney, something’s burning!”

Barney let out a gasp and bolted to the kitchen. He disappeared behind a swinging door, completely out of sight from what was going on.

“What about her?” Tobey indicated with a jerk of his head toward me.

“What about her?” Tyko demanded, flitting up near the door. “She’s fine where she is.”

“No way!” Tobey argued, glancing nervously outside. “Tyko, there are more than Speed Ghosts involved here.”

“Oh no,” she muttered

“Excuse me!” I interjected, standing up and crossing the room to them. “Can you please explain what’s going on?”

“Hold that thought,” Tyko breathlessly said, ducking underneath some unseen being. I stared in confusion and she and Tobey leapt about the restaurant, dipping and sliding, moving to a muted beat.

“O-kay…” I trailed off, deciding to just sit back on the booth. As I slipped into the seat, I jumped back up again. Something was… there. In my seat. But… when I turned to see what, whatever it was had vanished.

“An explanation would be nice,” I called shakily, still staring in shock at my seat.

“Tobey, where are Sue and Sid?” Tyko demanded from across the room.

“…Coming… I think.”

Tyko sighed in exasperation, rolling her eyes.

“Hey, Tyko… there’s more to this problem than just Speed Ghosts, like I said.”

“Like what?”

“Like… giant… mutant… monkeys…”

Tyko’s eyes widened. “You’re kidding, right?”

“Yeah, no.”

Tyko groaned and flitted to the door, ducking outside. Tobey glanced back at her for a brief second before his eyes flickered to me. He gestured to the door. “Why don’t you follow her?” he suggested.

Well, nothing weirder could possibly happen, so I took his advice. I mean, what did I have to lose?

All sanity, that’s what.

I took off for the exit, looking over my shoulder as I sprinted out. Another force pushed me backwards, sending me soaring to the ground. I flung against the door and groaned in pain. My eyes slowly opened to see none other than Sid sitting in front of me. He scratched
the back of his head and opened his eyes to see me.

“Brynn?”

“Well, if anything runs into me, it’s always you, isn’t it?” I smiled.

“I… I’m sorry,” he apologized quickly, standing up instantly and holding his hand out to me. He hauled me to my feet and stood awkwardly in the doorway. “Why… what are you doing here?”

“I just wanted some food,” I explained, gesturing behind me to the restaurant. “Which… I didn’t end up eating because apparently the spare ribs were poisoned or something.”

“Barney made ribs again?” Sid sighed. “When will he learn?”

“I take it you know him?”

“Unfortunately.”

Tobey burst between us and glanced at Sid nervously. “I’d hate to break up your little conversation, but we have some issues,” he interrupted, pointing to the street.

Sid spun around and looked up. “Oh, yeah, that thing. Let’s ride,” he muttered and bolted out the door, Tobey following close behind.

Needless to say, I was still confused.

Tyko jogged up to me and smiled. “Any questions?” she asked, hiding a giggle.

“Only a lot.”

A loud crash behind Tyko caused her to spin around. A giant… thing… crashed into a car parked on the street. It looked like a cross between a gorilla and an alligator, to be honest. I had no idea what it was. All I knew was those things didn’t exist in Ohio.

“That’s a problem,” Tyko stated, matter-of-factly. She turned back to me. “Maybe you should just stand back.”

I gave her a funny look as another black-haired girl jumped past us. “We’re professionals!” she shouted before she leapt at the monster.

“Yeah… mostly,” Tyko agreed half-heartedly and took her own flying lunge. I watched in a mixture of horror and awe as the four teens kicked, punched, and did whatever they could to halt the beast.

As I watched, I noted carefully the body of the animal. I had studied pressure points of animals when I was first learning martial arts, and I was trying to piece together the alligator and gorilla to see what I could find out. Suddenly, I snapped my fingers.

“That’s it,” I breathed. I glanced around and jogged over to Sid. “Can you do me a quick favor?” I asked.

“Uh, now?” he demanded, casting a glance at the ape-thing.

“I think I can help,” I replied.

“How?”

“I need you to give me a boost,” I explained. I locked my fingers together and made a throwing motion with them. “Like that.”

“Are you crazy?” he hissed. “You hit that thing in a flying leap like that, and you’ll be crushed underneath its foot.”

“Can you just trust me?”

Sid looked me over and slowly nodded. He laced his fingers together and knelt down, one knee on the ground and the other supporting his weight. I slipped my foot into the nest he had made and supported myself with my hand that I placed on his shoulder.

“Okay… one… two… three… now!” I commanded. I braced myself as Sid aimed and threw me with all his strength. I soared through the air and somersaulted to push myself farther. I landed with a soft thud on the beast’s neck. It growled and tried to swipe at me from around.

I grabbed onto its neck and hauled myself closer. “Calm down,” I muttered, half to it and half to myself. I gazed at its neck and tried to picture where the right pressure point would be. I smiled and jabbed a lower roundhouse kick at one position near the spinal cord.

The monster shuddered and fell to the ground with a large crash. Tyko just barely flitted out of the way and avoided being smashed underneath its weight. I hopped off, feeling slightly unsteady after the jump.

“Score!” Tobey shouted, pumping his fist into the air. “Now, where’s Sue with the recipe?”

“I’m here!” The black-haired girl ran out of Wu’s Garden, carefully carrying a bowl in her hands. “I’ve got the antidote!” she called.
Slowly, she stepped toward the creature’s mouth and took a strange pudding-like substance from the bowl and smeared it over its nose. The
beast shuddered again and shrunk, ever so slowly, before it finally puffed from existence.

Sid walked up behind me. “That was very good,” he complimented.

I smiled. “I study pressure points. My sensei said they were important in martial arts.”

“You’ve taken martial arts?” Tyko asked, seeming surprised. She shared a quick glance with the other girl, Sue.

“Since I was about five,” I answered.

“Group conference,” Sue declared and hauled Sid and Tobey to her and Tyko. I heard whispering and argument. Mostly argument
from Sid.

“But… useful… friendly.”

“Can’t involve… no room.”

Tyko shoved Sid and he stumbled back, caught off guard.

Sue spun around to face me and she grinned. “Tyko, go talk to Nana,” she directed. Tyko nodded and skipped into the restaurant, disappearing from view.

“But what about her home life?” Sid cut in. “She probably has a family to get back to,” he said reasonably.

“Oh, right,” Sue said, disheartened. She glanced at me for clarification.

I shook my head. “I actually just ran away. All the way from Ohio. My foster parents… they went missing.”

“Oh…” Sid trailed off.

“So you’re an orphan then?” Tobey asked.

I nodded. “Practically all my life.”

Just then, Tyko rushed out the door of Wu’s and gave Sue a thumbs up sign. A big grin was planted on her tiny face.

Sue looked back to me. “What would you say if I could get you a job and a place to live right now?” she asked.

“I would say, when I do start?”

“Right now,” she smiled.

“Wait…” I trailed off. “What about…” I gestured to where the gorilla-gator had been.

“Oh yeah,” Sue murmured. “You may want to sit down for this one.”

IT'S SO BLATANT THAT IT BURNS.
..>>

Last edited by ThaliaAnderson on 3rd August 2010, 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

I know I'm good for something; I just haven't figured it out yet.

My youtube and my tumblr.
ThaliaAnderson
Admin

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/leecrew82

Back to top Go down

Re: Five Becomes Four - Chapter O2

Post by AlixRobinson on 22nd July 2010, 12:26 am

I was going to reprimand you on how you affiliated the word "Flit" with Tyko far too often, then I remembered there's no other word to use, haha.

And it doesn't seem like Barney hates her at all! He's just doing what he always does - being a dork. I really do love the way you write him. It's just... cute xD

hush down now
go to sleep
we were once perfect
me and you
we'll never leave this room
AlixRobinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top